Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
In this module Jane presents a variety of illumination styles, covering the entire alphabet.Â Taking the letters by group, in the form of Versals, the projects include a single-letter bookmark with leaf motifs, medieval knotwork to add complexity to letter-parts, pen-flourished initials from the High Middle Ages, and a whimsical monogram.
This module is composed of 6 classes to allow you to create different kinds of illuminated letters:
- Class 1: We start with four letters which include a vertical Â« column Â» combined with a rounded form:Â A, D, J,Â and U.Â Using the letter Â« J Â» we create a simple bookmark with acanthus-leaf motifs.
- Class 2: The letters B, K, P, and R can all accommodate an animal-head at the junction of the column and their rounded parts.Â We learn how to draw this traditional motif and then complement it with swirling heart-leaf arabesques.
- Class 3: The rounded letters C, E, G, O, Q,Â and T come alive with expressive faces added or, as in our project for this class on the Â« G Â», with the addition of tiny animal friends.Â This golden illumination is set into a curling scroll and could even be used as the initial for a piece of calligraphy.
- Class 4: A complex and classic knot is presented as part of our study of the letters F, H, I, L, and N. Simpler variations of the Â« heart-knot Â» are also incorporated into our richly decorated letter Â« N Â».
- Class 5: A form of illuminated letters from the High Middle Ages (14th-15th century mainly), pen-flourished versals (filigranes) offer us the occasion to practice these geometric and delicate motifs.Â The letters are V, W, X, Y, and Z. We use the letter Â« V Â» to create an illumination on blue paper glittering with coppery-gouache.
- Class 6: We conclude with a monogram of the letters M and S, intertwined and rather fantastical !Â The Â« M Â» becomes a willow tree, home to a curious owl and two snails, while the Â« S Â» is embellished with stars and moons.
Buy full access for 12 months to all the modules for 65 â‚¬ or only to the 6 videos and 12 associated handouts of Module 6 for only 16 â‚¬ and realize your own artwork:
Using STRIPE with your credit card (Secured) on the “Join-us” page.
Using PAYPAL(Secured) on the “Join-us” page.
To complement this module you might like to purchase Jane’s book “Lettres enluminÃ©es”